Clinical Field Experience A: Professional Development
Professional development prepares you to be the best educator you can be for your students and ensure continual growth as you remain current in the profession. Professional development involves training in standards, academic content, teaching strategies, assessment data, and much more.
Allocate 3 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Collaborate with a certified K-8 elementary education teacher who currently teaches mathematics. With the permission of this mentor teacher (and school administrator, if necessary), attend one or more meetings, trainings, and other events where the teaching of math or math concepts are discussed.
- Review and analyze math assessment data with classroom teacher outside of classroom hours.
- Attend faculty/district meetings/trainings related to math/STEM
- Attend school events related to math/STEM
- Attend a math/STEM professional learning community meeting
- Attend a grade level/math content area department meeting
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the mentor teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 250-500 words, write a reflection of the meetings/events attended.
- Any new ideas or strategies for math instruction you learned.
- How the meetings/events support problem-solving or critical thinking to improve student outcomes.
- Your overall impression about what professional development meetings/events are offered for faculty at the school to assist them in enhancing math instruction and improving student outcomes.
- How you might incorporate what you learned about enhancing math instruction in your future professional practice as an elementary school teacher.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.